Wednesday 28 February 2007

Bureacratic Stress

Ok, just a quick rant…..

Last week, seeing as I recently seem to have turned into a ‘super-organized’ bod and because I want my next adventure to include ALL the necessary documentation, visas and a fresh new empty passport for the Thai immigrations approval, I thought that I’d get a head start, book my flight ticket early and arrange visas etc etc. Don’t want to get turned away from the plane and stuck for a week like I did in Egypt.

Anyway….have been investigating one way flight ticket and visa requirements, I checked with the Thai Embassy and they say I need a non-immigrant B visa to get a work permit, told them I knew that but I'd get it from Malaysia when I go on holiday, they say I can only get it here, from my place of birth. This definitely has neverbeen the case before, and the problem is I can't get it here because my school won't give me the documents needed for the visa until I go over there have the interview, meet the board, and show my degree.

So...can't get the B visa without the documents that I won't get until I go over there and give them my documents which I can't do unless I get a visa. THEN they tell me 'you do know you need a police check to get a teaching permit in Thailand now don’t you'.... to which I say ‘no….I didn’t know I needed a police check, how long does that take....?’ '5 weeks' they say.....

Then....Gill from work (who's generally well informed for a scouser...) tells me it costs about 100 quid to get a police check. 100 quid for that, 100 quid for visa....aaahhhhhh.

Just tried to call Nicole in Thailand to just get the info on what she had to do when she went last March but...can't get through.

So....phoned the police and found out that the check I need does take 5 weeks but only costs £10 and they will post it out to wherever, but….I need to have 2 forms of picture ID to take with me to the station. Problem with this is I need to send my passport off for renewal asap otherwise it won’t get back in time to be sent of for the visa that I’ll never get!!
This is turning into an organizational nightmare and I'm completely exhausted from trying to deal with all this while doing overtime at work.
Why is it so difficult to do things the official way….?

No comments: